Studio Pro features two tools meant to simplify working with elements: Desktop Recorder and Browser Recorder. They allow you to create a sequence of interaction with elements without the need to define each element separately.
How to launch the tool
In this section, we will go through the usage of both Desktop and Browser recorders, because the process of working with them is pretty much the same. The only and crucial difference is that the Desktop recorder is used to work with desktop apps, whereas the Browser recorder interacts with browsers.
To open the tool, navigate to the menu "Tools" → "Process recorder" → "Desktop"/"Browser".
You can also start the tool by clicking on the "REC" icon in the top toolbar.
After opening the Desktop/Browser recorder, you will get into the selecting mode. Studio Pro will minimize and you will see a tool status window:
The status window looks the same for both recorders
Now you can start creating a sequence. There are two selection options: you can select an element to be clicked or an input field to be filled with a value.
To select an element to be clicked:
- Point the mouse cursor on the element.
- Press CTRL+X.
Create a sequence of clicks by just repeating the actions described above.
To select an input field to be filled:
- Point the mouse cursor on the input field.
- Press CTRL+Y.
Create a sequence of inputs by just repeating the actions described above.
A summary of the sequence of elements is displayed in the tool status Window.
Note: you cannot select more than ten elements at once. After selecting the last (the tenth) element, you will automatically return to Studio Pro. If you need to select more elements, just open the Desktop Recorder tool again and create a new sequence.
When you are done with selecting elements, press ESC to save the elements and return to Studio Pro.
As a result, you will see activity blocks on the canvas. The only thing left to be done is to fill in the "Value" parameter of the Input to desktop app or Input to browser activity.
Here is an example of a workflow created with Desktop Recorder.
Let us create a simple bot that will open Notepad, change font and font size and input the "Hello, world!" text.
- Open Studio Pro, log in, and create a new file (as a project or in a "Playground" mode).
- Put an Open application activity block on the canvas and select Notepad to be opened.
- Navigate to the menu "Tools" → "Process recorder" → "Desktop".
- Create a sequence of clicks:
Format → Font → 14 → Times New Roman → Bold → OK
Don't hurry with selecting the elements. After each selection, wait until the action is displayed in the "Sequence of selected elements" in the status window.
- Select an input field.
- Press ESC to finish working with the Recorder.
- Navigate to the Input to desktop app activity and type "Hello, world!" text into the "Value" parameter.
- Run the bot. If everything is done correctly, you will see the text with correct formatting in the input field: